05 Apr 2016

Homeowner Is Lucky To Be Alive

Sometimes the best price isn’t always the right choice, so that is why it is important you hire an experienced and qualified contractor…

The homeowners of this house recently had their roof replaced because of hail and wind damage. The contractor who installed the new roof, also replaced the flue cap. The inexperienced contractor was not familiar with building materials and replaced the 5 inch flue cap with a 6 inch cap. Since the cap was larger in diameter, it slide to far over the flue pipe restricting flow of Carbon Monoxide fumes. Excessive condensation built up in the flue pipe and the furnace quit working when the gas valve shorted out.

The homeowners contacted a heating and cooling company to fix the furnace because it stopped working. After the technician repaired the furnace, he checked carbon monoxide levels while both the water heater and furnace were in operation. Test results showed over 2000 ppm of carbon monoxide was spilling into the living space. Any CO level over 9 ppm within an eight-hour period is an alarming level. Any CO level over 35 ppm is considered hazardous.

To make matters worse, their Carbon Monoxide detector was defective and did not go off to alarm anyone. If they had not kept the heat set at a very low temperature due to wife’s health condition, the family of four may not have survived this deadly mishap. This cost the homeowner’s over $900 in repairs but almost cost them their lives. When the homeowner tried to contact the roofing contractor about this issue, they discovered he was no longer in business. This house is in St. Charles County, Missouri…

 

1365135177037

1365135176287 1365135175585 Raised Flue Cap 1365135173848

[top]